SPUG: need another list moderator

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRWolf at att.net
Sat Sep 19 23:45:21 PDT 2009

On Sep 19, 2009, at 9:39 PM, Andrew Sweger wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Sep 2009, Michael R. Wolf wrote:
>
>> OK.  I'll bite.  Just where is the world's third largest fresh water
>> lake without computers or networks?
>
> The "without computer or networks" was not meant to be a qualifier for
> third-largest-fresh-water-lake. Sadly, I flunked all my English
> classes.

Sadly, English wasn't *designed* by linguists.  Its loose and flexible
"grammar rules" are descriptive rather than prescriptive.  Had it been
designed, there would be more structural underpinnings, probably
punctuation, to reduce ambiguities and increase expressiveness.

--
Michael R. Wolf
     All mammals learn by playing!
         MichaelRWolf at att.net