SPUG: Huh, well, to be honest...

Skylos skylos at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 09:35:41 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 7:13 AM, Brian E. Lozier <brian at massassi.com> wrote:

> I thought Amazon had a lot of perl devs?

Once upon a time in an amazonian climate not so far away... Yes.

But perl is now non-grata, due to an excess of bad program design
implemented in perl that resulted in some truly spectacular failures and
system opacity that led to the need to re-engineer entire systems at
significant time and monetary cost.  They didn't choose perl for the
replacement.

Now the perl is mostly limited to the Mason page render system and reporting
scripts.  Most of the actual services or applications are run by Java and
C++.

Of course, the actual problem was in the programmers, not in the language,
but try and convince people that there are perl programmers who actually do
know how to design applications...

It frequently feels like everybody around is into Java, C++, or Ruby... even
if they KNOW perl, they avoid it and try to talk their way into working in
other languages.

David

"If only I could get rid of hunger by rubbing my belly" - Diogenes