SPUG: Net::SFTP Connection

Joshua ben Jore twists at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 09:01:49 PDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 5:36 AM, Phil Kirsch <kirsch.phil at gmail.com> wrote:
> #!/usr/bin/perl
>
> use strict;
> use Net::SFTP;
>
> my $user = "IPX0611B0811_ACI_DATA";
> my $host = 'SFTP.impaxlabs.com';
> my $pass = "impax";
> my $logn = "$user" . "\@" . $host;
> my $sftp = Net::SFTP->new("$logn", password=>"$pass", debug=>1);
> print ("Done\.\n");
>
> The results come out like this:
>
> # ./transfer.pl
> datafax3: Reading configuration data /root/.ssh/config
> datafax3: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
> datafax3: Allocated local port 1023.
> datafax3: Connecting to IPX0611B0811_ACI_DATA at SFTP.impaxlabs.com, port 22.
> datafax3: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version OpenSSH_5.1
> datafax3: Net::SSH::Perl Version 1.34, protocol version 2.0.
> .atafax3: No compat match: OpenSSH_5.1
> datafax3: Connection established.
> datafax3: Sent key-exchange init (KEXINIT), wait response.
> datafax3: Algorithms, c->s: 3des-cbc hmac-sha1 none
> datafax3: Algorithms, s->c: 3des-cbc hmac-sha1 none
> datafax3: Entering Diffie-Hellman Group 1 key exchange.
> datafax3: Sent DH public key, waiting for reply.
>
> At this point there is a long pause, followed 15 or 20 seconds later by:
> Connection closed by remote host. at
> /usr/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/Net/SSH/Perl/Kex/DH1.pm line 41
>
> Because the word "Done" does not print, I am quite certain that the script
> is simply dying at this point. Does anyone have any ideas for
> troubleshooting this problem?

Yes, but with the caveat that this is just basic *NIX debugging and I
nothing about the actual perl module.

- Tried following the conversation with tcpdump?
- Firewalls preventing in or outbound communication?
- strace to see if somethink hinky shows up?
- try telnetting to the ssh server to see if it shows you its header
and it responds to the "garbage" you type back to it

Josh