SPUG: June 2009 Seattle Perl Users Group (SPUG) Meeting

Andrew Sweger andrew at sweger.net
Thu Jun 11 13:49:32 PDT 2009

Sorry for the late notice, gang. My bad. I was down in LA hanging out with
the drug addicts on Manhattan Beach and just got back last night when I
realized we gotta git the SPUG announcement out:

    June 2009 Seattle Perl Users Group (SPUG) Meeting

    Topic: Git Best Practices and Gotchas
    Speaker: Tye McQueen & Dave Olszewski
    Meeting Date: Tuesday, 16 June 2009
    Meeting Time: 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
    Location: Marchex - 4th & Pine

    Cost: Admission is free and open to the public
    Info: http://seattleperl.org/

Tuesday, June 16, is the next meeting of the THE SEATTLE PERL USERS GROUP.

This Month's Talk
Git Best Practices and Gotches, and some custom tools to help, especially
when using Git as a central repository (as is common in a corporate
environment). Q+A may be a popular part of the talk.

What is Git? Wikipedia says: Git is a free distributed revision control,
or software source code management project with an emphasis on being fast.
Git was initially designed and developed by Linus Torvalds for Linux
kernel development. Every Git working directory is a full-fledged
repository with complete history and full revision tracking capabilities,
not dependent on network access or a central server. Several high-profile
software projects now use Git for revision control, most notably the
Linux kernel, Perl, GNOME, Samba, X.org Server, Qt, One Laptop per
Child (OLPC) core development, VLC, Wine, Ruby on Rails, and the
Android mobile platform.

About Tye McQueen & Dave Olszewski
Tye McQueen is a Sr Perl Dev for WhitePages and absentee landlord of
PerlMonks.org, proud author of Acme::ESP and several less important
modules.

Dave Olszewski is a long time perl geek, newfound git geek.  Since being
thrust into it, he has seen the light and spent many late nights exploring
the strange and dusty corners of this life-altering tool.  To quote a
recent visitor to #git: "who would have f* believed you could get an
adrenaline rush from a friggin' SCM!"

Pre-Meeting
================

If you are so inclined, please come to the pre-meeting at the Elephant &
Castle pub on 5th & Union. We'll be there from 5-6:19PM.

Meeting Location
================

Pizza and Beer will be provided at the meeting.

Marchex
413 Pine St, Suite 500
Seattle, WA  98101

The building is just south of Westlake Center. Enter on 4th Avenue, near
Pine street. The entry is near the Dog In The Park hotdog stand.

  http://www.baylis.org/static/marchex.png

Due to all of the shopping around us there is plenty of parking
available in garages, but it can be hard to find street parking in
the evening.

See you there!