SPUG: Hashes and subroutines

Christopher Howard choward at indicium.us
Wed Jan 7 11:37:15 PST 2009

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009, Bill Warner wrote:

> I love Higher Order Perl, and I have nothing against this technique, but chances are it's going to resemble a
> class, or a system of classes, before you know it. Have you thought about the problems in terms of an object
> model? Then you can just  as easily write 'no strict "refs"; $o->$method(@args)' .
>
> Thanks,

I'm not entirely against object oriented programming, but I generally try
to avoid it until I see a very clear need for it. E.g., a need for
multiple instantiations of an object, or a need for inheritance in a class
hierarchy.

I'm inclined to see a big difference between maintaining separate
namespaces, and real object oriented programming.

Anyone else feel the same way?

--
Christopher Howard
http://indicium.us