SPUG: minimal unmatching regex

Ingy dot Net ingy at ingy.net
Sun Aug 23 12:44:11 PDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Ken Clarke <k_clarke at perlprogrammer.net>wrote:

> Late to the party but I love regexes.
>
> Patrick's /[^\w\W]/ made me think of /[\d\D]/ or /[\s\S]/ or any character
> class containing complementary subsets
>
> My own invention is /^^/  or /$$/ or any match which can only occur once
> occuring twice

Neither of these works for the intended purpose.

/^^/ always matches, which stands to reason, since after you match the
front, you're still at the front.

$$ is an interpolated scalar variable.

    print "match" if $$ =~ /$$/; # prints "match"

Also, even though $$ is readonly, I could easily use Inline::C or some XS
code to allow me to do this:

    $$ = ""; $anything =~ /$$/;