SPUG: Working with currency

Michael R. Wolf michaelrwolf at att.net
Thu Apr 2 19:20:26 PDT 2009

On Apr 2, 2009, at 8:46 PM, Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:

> The only pre-existing solution that's going to work consistently is:
>
> Store and manipulate in pennies; only use dollars on user input and
> output.
> No modules required. :)

A module-less solution was my first choice.  It's elegant (for the
"small and simple" definition of elegant).

After an hour of digging, I can't find indications (much less an
answer) on when it's necessary to 'use bigint'.  In other words, what
is the moral equivalent of MAXINT, or at least a close approximation
(disregarding whatever legal fine-print exists) for a back of the
envelope proof-of-concept design?

--
Michael R. Wolf
     All mammals learn by playing!