SPUG: Need a transparent email forwarding utility

Fred Morris m3047 at inwa.net
Tue Sep 16 22:56:15 PDT 2008

Something's not right. In addition to a .forward file, in a procmailrc it's as
simple as this rule

:0
! me at somewhere.else

If they're using qmail, well read the docs... it's a one-liner in a file with
a special name:

&me at somewhere.else

If all of those fail, look at formail to rewrite (or insert or otherwise
munge) headers... and then just resend it.

On Tuesday 16 September 2008 08:09, Tim Maher wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 07:52:31AM -0700, Colin Meyer wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 07:18:56AM -0700, Tim Maher wrote:
> > [...]
> > You mean '... hit "reply" to respond *as* Person #42', right?
>
> Nope! /To/ Person #42.
>
> > The forwarding depends on the mail system for System A. On most unixy
> > systems, you can put a .forward file in the user's homedir with the
> > address to forward email to. Yahoo and Gmail have a forwarding feature
> > buried somewhere in their user preferences web form.
>
> I've already got the forwarding from System A in place, but the mail
> that arrives at my System B is identified as coming from me at System-A
> (using Outlook Express!), so replies go back to me there--not to the
> originator of the Email, Person #42.

Well that's your problem. You're expecting your MUA to "forward" (or actually
re-mail) messages, rather than having an MTA forward them. In general, it is
the MTA which should be performing the operation you are requesting... unless
you want the mail to come from the "person" of your intermediate MUA...
that's plain and simple the intended and generally understood semantics of
mail.

--

Fred, internet plumber