SPUG: Need a transparent email forwarding utility

Brian Hatch bri at ifokr.org
Tue Sep 16 08:53:22 PDT 2008

Nigh 2008-09-16 08:09 -0700, Tim Maher rambled:

> > The forwarding depends on the mail system for System A. On most unixy
> > systems, you can put a .forward file in the user's homedir with the
> > address to forward email to. Yahoo and Gmail have a forwarding feature
> > buried somewhere in their user preferences web form.
>
> I've already got the forwarding from System A in place, but the mail
> that arrives at my System B is identified as coming from me at System-A
> (using Outlook Express!), so replies go back to me there--not to the
> originator of the Email, Person #42.

In your .forward file you can pipe it to a program.  Shouldn't be hard
to write a small perl program to read in the mail on stdin, replacing
the '^(To|From|Reply-To):' and pipe it back to 'sendmail -t'

There are also various mail/email modules you can use to parse it and
do it in a more OO fashion.

What do you have in place currently?

--
Brian Hatch                  Cat.  The other white meat.
   Systems and

Every message PGP signed