SPUG: Problems Installing from CPAN

Kirsch, Phil phil at scharp.org
Wed Nov 26 20:07:35 PST 2008

I'm trying to install perl Tk from cpan on Solaris 9 for Intel and it's failing to "make". Here are the last few lines of output:

Writing Makefile for Tk
/usr/local/bin/make: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected
 /usr/local/bin/make -j3 -- NOT OK
Running make test
 Can't test without successful make
Running make install
 make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

I have already tried several different version of make. I've tried updating make. But, the error persists without variation. Is make finding something it does not expect in what it is trying to install? Can anyone suggest an area to start troubleshooting in?

Phil Kirsch