SPUG: Summer of Perl -- call for student proposals

jerry gay jerry.gay at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 15:45:25 PDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 8:36 AM, Andrew Sweger <andrew at sweger.net> wrote:
> Forwarding to SPUG on behalf of Eric Wilhelm:
>
>  The Perl Foundation is participating in Google's 2008 Summer of Code(tm)
>  and we have a lot of capable, willing mentors looking forward to working
>  with some talented, driven students.  So, we would like you to help find
>  those students (and quickly -- the students must apply before March 31st.)
>
>  This is a rare opportunity for students to get a chance to get a paid
>  summer of hacking on exciting projects like Parrot, Perl 6, Moose, Jifty,
>  SVK, Catalyst, or their very own Perl modules or applications.  It also
>  brings new talent into the community and gives the student a hefty "real
>  world" experience with a knowledgable mentor.  Further, employers love to
>  see this sort of demonstration of teamwork, handling deadlines,
>  communication skills, resourcefulness and etc.
>
>  We're looking for promising students who are interested in open source (or
>  maybe you know someone who *should* be interested in open source.)
>  Knowledge of Perl is optional if the project is Parrot-related.  The
>  student doesn't need to be an expert in the problem domain (after all,
>  learning is part of the process), but should bring a big pile of
>  creativity, problem-solving skills, and determination.
>
>  Students should review the page of suggested projects, but are encouraged
>  to bring their own proposals (those are often the best.)  The most
>  important first step is getting in touch with the community and discussing
>  their project idea with potential mentors.
>
>   http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl5/index.cgi?gsoc2008_projects
>
>  Additional information and links can be found here.
>
>   http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl5/index.cgi?gsoc2008
>
>  Google has posted some flyers if you happen to have a university bulletin
>  board or hallway handy:
>
>   http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/wiki/GsocFlyers
>
>  Additional info:
>
>   http://code.google.com/soc/2008/
>   http://code.google.com/soc/2008/faqs.html
>
>  (Note that google has particular requirements to do with the fact that
>  they are paying the students.  The student must be able to show their
>  eligibility regarding enrollment and employability.)
>
>  Remember, the Perl community draws talent from many fields, so if you came
>  to Perl from a non-computer-science major and still have contacts in that
>  department from your university, it is probably worth mentioning to them.
>
>  Thanks,
>  Eric

i won't be at the meeting tonight to announce it in person, but this
list is probably a better vehicle because it reaches more people. i'm
managing the google summer of code projects for parrot and rakudo
(perl 6 on parrot), and i'll be a mentor for rakudo and parrot.

if you are interested, or know somebody who might be, please know that
it's possible for me to meet with local students face-to-face for
mentoring sessions. feel free to contact me directly with any related
questions or comments at jerry.gay+soc2008 at gmail.com.
~jerry