SPUG: Regarding Perl and file transfers

Christopher Howard choward at indicium.us
Thu Jul 24 14:57:29 PDT 2008

Since I started learning Perl, I've focused almost exclusively on Perl
CGI.  I'm just starting to learn about networking with Perl.

I want to create scripts to do all the computer-to-computer backups on
my personal LAN.  My first thought was to use SFTP because it secure and
it is easy to set up an SFTP server.  And I saw Net::SFTP so I thought
I'd learn how to use that.

Right away I ran into problems using Net::SFTP.  It is probably either
the way that I installed it or the way I tried to use it.  But
nevertheless, I notice that Net::SFTP is only on version 0.10...

So I take that to mean that Perl programmers do not commonly use SFTP
for communicating files with their scripts.  Then, what protocol is
commonly used?  Do I need to learn to make those complicated-looking
scripts for creating socket connections?

I would appreciate it if some one could point me in the right direction.