SPUG: cpan errors on OS X

Tye McQueen tyemq at cpan.org
Wed Dec 24 16:21:10 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 10:51 PM, Michael R. Wolf <michaelrwolf at att.net>wrote:

> t/taint....Can't open perl script ""-I/Users/michael/Library/Application
> Support/.cpan/build/File-Path-2.07-oawBVl/blib/lib"": No such file or
> directory

It looks like the argument gets enclosed in double quotes because of the
space in the path name.  But Perl is seeing an argument with the quotes
included and so the quotes are preventing the (no-longer) leading -I from
being recognized as indicating an option (instead of a script filename).  It
smells like some Win32-handling code being used when real exec() is
available (since OS X is Unix-based)?

As for your fishing question, I'd go to
http://www.perlmonks.org/?node=SoPWfor such questions.  We don't get a
ton of OS X questions, but we certainly
have several regulars who use OS X, and I'd appreciate learning more about
OS X by virtue of reading more discussions about using Perl on it.

Tye