SPUG: cpan errors on OS X

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRWolf at att.net
Wed Dec 24 00:25:00 PST 2008

On Dec 23, 2008, at 11:33 PM, Nicholas Melnick wrote:

> Michael,
>
> I'd recommend changing your .cpan directory to your home directory
> or another directory without a space. Perl deals with it just fine,
> but most developers don't seem to care much for dealing with spaces
> in paths. This may solve the issue for you.

That did the trick!  Thanks for the suggestion.  You're right, *this*
developer was severely disappointed to find OS X directories with
spaces in them, but I tried to take the defaults in the cpan init, not
wanting to mess around with the heavy fu that's in the cpan script.
Oh well.  I guess I get it how I wanted it in the first place.

Thanks for the suggestion.

P.S.  There are 2 .cpan directories.  Seems that cpan(1) still needs
to look in '/Users/michael/Library/Application Support/.cpan/CPAN/
MyConfig.pm', but that config file can direct cpan(1) to '/Users/
michael/.cpan' as the cpan_home (e.g. build_dir, histfile,
keep_sources_where, and prefs_dir).

There's More Than One Way To Disambiguate It (for the see-pan
pronunciation of 'it')--
CPAN - the community/code concept,
CPAN.pm - the module,
http://www.cpan.org - the site,
cpan(1) - the program,
~/.cpan, - the cpan_home config parameter to CPAN.pm, as used by cpan(1)
~/Library/Application Support/.cpan - where cpan(1) looks for .cpan/CPAN
~/Library/Application Support/.cpan/CPAN - where cpan(1) looks for
MyConfig.pm

I think I've got is set for another 5 years....

Michael R. Wolf
     All mammals learn by playing!
         MichaelRWolf at att.net