SPUG: perldoc failures on OS X

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRWolf at att.net
Sun Dec 7 17:26:38 PST 2008

On Dec 7, 2008, at 4:58 PM, Bill Campbell wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 07, 2008, Michael R. Wolf wrote:

[...]
>> Since my old #1 problem (no portable computing) is solved, a new #1
>> problem has emerged: perldoc(1) is installed, but doesn't work.
>
> I suggest installing the xcode package from the original
> installation DVS, then pick up the on-line update.  I think the
> one must sign up to Apple's free developer program to get to the
> on-line updates.

The MacBook that I just purchased does *not* have a DVD with Xcode on
it, contrary to years of queried, historical postings to the
contrary.  This was confirmed with an 800-apple-techie conversation
last week.  All Xcode must now be downloaded from the net.  It's
chugging away as I type...

> The update includes fixes to gcc that caused gnu-tar to fail
> building, but I don't remember the exact details.

  gcc(1) isn't *broken*, it's *missing*!!!.  (That's just one of many
other tools that cpan(1) looks for -- make(1), lynx(1), wget(1),
ncftp(1), gpg(1)).  I expect that Xcode will solve that, too.

> I just did a couple of quick checks of perldoc on my PPC Titanium
> Powerbook running leopard, and it works fine.

Thanks....

Michael R. Wolf
MichaelRWolf at att.net