SPUG: dealing with HTML on list (was: Independent project)

Bill Campbell bill at celestial.com
Mon Aug 11 22:23:56 PDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008, Brian Hatch wrote:
>At almost 2008-08-11 21:39 -0700, BenRifkah Bergsten-Buret voiced:
>
>> I've also found it helpful on technical lists for formatting command
>> lines and code snippets in fixed width fonts, and especially for
>> highlighting subtle differences when helping people with bugs.
>
>My ASCII mailer always does fixed width fonts.  Sounds like this
>HTML thing is a real step backwards.

Agreed.

>;-)
>
>> If we're going to ban HTML because it's easier for clients to parse
>> then we might as well change the list focus to Python because it's
>> easier for minds to parse.
>
>If there are no curlies on which I can bounce with my % key in vi,
>it isn't a real language.

The way I write python (and bash) is to comment curly braces

if condition: #{{
	# do something here
#}
elif something else: #{
	# more stuff
#}
else: #{
	# finally something else
#}}

Yes, it would make a pythonista puke :-).

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.
  -- Herbert Hoover