SPUG: Independent project

John W. Krahn jwkrahn at shaw.ca
Sat Aug 9 23:41:50 PDT 2008

Christopher Howard wrote:
> Hello.

Hello,

> I was wondering if a few of you would be willing to do me a favor.  I'm
> creating this personal website as part of an independent project toward my
> Associates degree:
>
> www.indicium.us <http://www.indicium.us>
>
> The basic idea of the project is for me to learn Perl by coding an entire
> personal website out of Perl scripts (my own work, mostly).  The site is meant
> to have a variety of content to interest the web visitor, including interactive
> programs and downloads.  The site is not very impressive yet (we all have to
> start somewhere!) but I'm slowly working to make it more attractive,
> interesting, and useful.
>
> There is a site blog (accessible from the front page) that details my
> experiences in coding the site.  If you want to help out, all you have to do is
> subscribe to the blog's RSS feed, watch the posts, and drop in a comment when
> ever you feel like it.
>
> Thanks in advance.

On your "Links" page you have a link to "Rex Swain's HTMLified Perl 5
Reference".  This site has so many errors in it that I couldn't get past
the "Operators" section.  Why don't you just link to the actual Perl
documentation at http://perldoc.perl.org/?

As to your "hrefined" code, most of it looks OK except for
"modules/database.pm":

      67     my $currentlink = @{$links}[$currentvalue];

     168     my $file = @_[1];

     214     my $currentcategory = @{$categories}[$currentvalue];

You are using a slice to access a scalar value.  Those lines should be:

      67     my $currentlink = $links->[$currentvalue];

     168     my $file = $_[1];

     214     my $currentcategory = $categories->[$currentvalue];

If you had enabled warnings then perl would have informed you of this.

Also in "modules/interface.pm" you have "use strict" twelve times.
"use" happens at compile time and after the first strict pragma is
compiled in the next eleven ones are ignored.

While there are a few other quirks or inconsistencies that I would
change if it were my code, that's enough for now.  :-)

John
in short order.                            -- Larry Wall