SPUG: Hashes with Private/Hidden Values

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRWolf at att.net
Mon May 7 22:54:29 PDT 2007

I did not understand the terms “hide” and “private”, so I had to unpack the
Private.pm attachment.  To save others the trouble, here are a few lines...

NAME
    Hash::Private - hashref with hidden (private) keys

SYNOPSIS
    Using:

       use Hash::Private;

       my $hash = phash();
       $hash->{username}  = 'joedoe';  # exposed
       $hash->{_password} = 'doejoe';  # hidden

    Extending:

       package MyClass;
       use base 'Hash::Private';

       sub new { shift->phash(@_) }

       sub _fetch  { print "FETCH called\n"  }
       sub _store  { print "STORE called\n"  }
       sub _exists { print "EXISTS called\n" }
       sub _delete { print "DELETE called"\n }

DESCRIPTION
    Hash::Private is a class which 'hides' any key within a hash. It does
    this by convincing the hash iterators (each(), keys(), values()) to only
    return values that do not start with an underscore '_'. By doing so, you
    can hide keys within a hash by prefixing them with an underscore.

[
]

--
Michael R. Wolf