SPUG: One Python users' view of Perl

Andrew Sweger andrew at sweger.net
Thu Jun 14 20:26:27 PDT 2007

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, Jules Agee wrote:

> Andrew Sweger wrote:
> >
> > Forget others that come after me. I find myself (regardless of the
> > language) using longer expressions of what I'm trying to do in the code
> > just so *I* have a hope of understanding what I'm doing (or trying to do).
>
> Once I even resorted to adding a comment explaining what a piece of code
> did.

I really should not reply because I'm sure I'll just end up fanning some
flames. But then my wife says I ain't that smart anyway...

I like comments that give me hints on particularly dense or idiomatic
*little* bits of code (and hope the comment stays in sync with the code!).
The other kind of comments I like are like chapter headings for long
procedural sections to help identify how the problem is broken down.
Otherwise, I prefer to read the code itself since it's responsible for all
the action. (I am _not_ referring to documentation or POD.)

--
Andrew B. Sweger -- The great thing about multitasking is that several
                                things can go wrong at once.