SPUG: OT: OSCON 2007: Wherefore not The Damian? I beseech thee!

Adam Monsen haircut at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 08:03:10 PDT 2007

On 6/27/07, Damian Conway <damian at conway.org> wrote:
[...]

> I'm certain O'Reilly will happily refund your money, if you prefer not to
> take
> the class now that I'm not teaching it. If you decide on that course and
> experience any difficulties, please don't hesitate to contact me directly
> and
> I'll do my best to help sort it out.

[...]

Thank you, I sincerely appreciate that.

My Vim devotion appears to have superseded my angst from missing my favorite
speaker. I was able to contact Steve and he wrote me back with some useful
information, and I've subsequently decided to attend the tutorial after all.
At the risk of spiraling even further off-topic, I will provide my
correspondence with him.

My query (not verbatim):
------------------------------------------8<------------------------------------------
I've used Vim for many years and I look forward to the tutorial. Do you have
an outline to share? I couldn't find one on the OSCON Web site. I'd like to
study up on whatever you'll be presenting so I can get the most out of your
tutorial.

What should I be able to do when I leave the tutorial? I'm familiar with all
the basic Vim commands and I hope to become a better Vim script writer. And
I want to be challenged. I appreciated your Vim Cookbook, but I am quite
fluent with the concepts presented there and would love to go a little
deeper with Vim. Could you tell me if your tutorial will be more
advancedthan your
Vim Cookbook?
------------------------------------------>8------------------------------------------

His answer (not verbatim):
------------------------------------------8<------------------------------------------
1. Programming the syntax engine
2. Basic Function Writing
3. Hooking your Function into Vim (This is actually more complex than you
might think)
4. Debugging scripts.
5. Working with syntax coloring and scripts.
6. Adding perl scripts to vim.
7. Advanced features.

--
Adam Monsen