SPUG: "Cargo Cult" narratives Re: Minimal Perl for $17.46

Fred Morris m3047 at inwa.net
Sat Feb 24 10:14:22 PST 2007

Paul:

A.k.a. "taking things at 'interface value'".

Sometimes that is unfortunately all one can do. Of course both of the phrases
refer to internalizing things we don't understand and giving them mystical
attributes: whether that's cargo mysteriously appearing on the beach (unless
one's prayers led to the shipwreck or altered the ocean currents, not likely
due to the intercession of deities) or having the feeling that your computer
is "having a bad day".

As long as you have not taken leave of reason because of this strange series
of gestures, then to paraphrase Freud: sometimes a gesture is just a gesture.

On Friday 23 February 2007 17:04, Paul Cook wrote:
> I just purchased Tim's new book online for $17.46 (it lists for $44.95!),
> with no sales tax, and free shipping.
>
> I used a price comparison site to do this, and I'm not sure how much that
> had to do with me getting that price.  At the risk of giving you a
> "cargo-cult" narrative, I'll give the exact steps that I took.  YMMV.
>
> [...]
>
> I am not making this up.

THAT made me laugh!

--