SPUG: JOB: Contract Perl Programmer for local non-profit hiking org

SPUG Jobs jobs-noreply at seattleperl.org
Wed Aug 29 12:13:38 PDT 2007

Washington Trails Association

Perl Programmer (Contract)

Washington Trails Association (WTA) seeks an experienced Perl programmer
for short-term contract work on a website project, followed by a possible
retainer for up to eight months.

Washington Trails Association (WTA) is a statewide non-profit organization
dedicated to protecting and maintaining hiking trails. Its dynamic
website, <http://www.wta.org/> , is the local hiker's go-to resource for
trail conditions, volunteer opportunities, and advocacy for trails.

WTA is in the midst of a website redesign / overhaul to a Plone platform
site with the technology consulting firm ONE/Northwest
<http://www.onenw.org/> . Our current Perl-based website (www.wta.org) is
"homebrewed" and our volunteer webmaster / Perl programmer who developed
the current site has recently retired from this position. The website
overhaul is taking place in phases, and the first phase involves a
redesign of the site, updated and simpler navigation, and conversion of
many parts of the site to the Plone platform. Some Perl database-driven
components of the existing WTA site will be "knitted together" with the
new site for Phase 1. Phases 2 and 3 (to happen throughout early 2008)
will address these areas and re-create them in Plone.

Knitting together the old site and the new site for the launch of Phase 1
necessitates contracting with an experienced Perl Programmer that can
execute specific tasks, like replacing the old navigation bar and footer
with the new ones on specified pages, replacing some links in the static
text on these pages, ripping out the old sidebar, and updating the old
style sheet to better conform with our new visual design.  We also would
like to have this person take some system administration responsibility
for our webserver (Apache/Perl/MySQL) during this transition.

The original developer of our website application will be available for
consultation as needed to help you ramp up.

Qualifications:

* Experience designing and building database-powered website
  applications with Apache, Perl and MySQL, with an emphasis on content
  management and user-contributed content.

* Passion for Washington Trails Association's mission

Please send inquires and resumes to:

Amanda Madorno
Interim Executive Director
Washington Trails Association
2019 Third Ave, #100
Seattle, WA  98121

Amanda at wta.org (email preferred)
(206) 625-1367

Washington Trails Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does
not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, sex,
disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or national origin.

Washington Trails Association (WTA) is a 30-year-old advocacy organization
whose mission is to protect and promote hiking opportunities in Washington
state.  In addition to working directly with government agencies and
educating hikers about how best to enjoy Washington's natural treasures,
WTA manages one of the largest and most successful volunteer trail
maintenance programs in the country.  WTA also publishes a membership
magazine, Washington Trails, that includes WTA program updates, features,
trail-related news, and trip reports.