SPUG: odd array ref issue

Rick Croote rick.croote at philips.com
Thu Jan 26 16:24:42 PST 2006

I'm used to seeing stringified Array message only when I have set the
variable as such

$Data::Dumper::Maxdepth = 1;

I use the above often when data items are so large that they take forever
or likely to just crash the program.

---
Rick Croote
Software Engineer
Environment and Tools Team
Philips Medical Systems
Bothell, WA
Rick.Croote at Philips.com
Phone: 425-487-7834

Colin Meyer <cmeyer at helvella.org>
Sent by:
spug-list-bounces at pm.org

mike <mike206 at gmail.com>
cc
members at seattleperl.org
Subject
Re: SPUG: odd array ref issue
Classification

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 10:14:17AM -0800, mike wrote:
> I've totally been pulling my hair out over this and I'm probably missing
> something stupid here but I figured the SPUG eyes would notice it
> immediately
>

> I have an array ref in $tmp, here is the Data::Dumpage
>
> Thu Jan 26 10:00:40 2006 tmp: $VAR1 = [
>           '102',
>           '104'
>         ];
>
> then I put that into my $params hashref
>
>     $params->{donor_pk} = $tmp;

Are you sure that the line in your code doesn't look something more
like:

   $params->{donor_pk} = "$tmp";

It seems that your array ref is being stringified somewhere. Perhaps
including a sample of your actual code will shed more light.

-Colin.

> then I Data::Dump the $params hashref
>
> Thu Jan 26 10:00:40 2006 params: $VAR1 = {
>           'all' => '1',
>           'Submit' => '1',
>           'view' => 'donors',
>           'donor_pk' => 'ARRAY(0x60234)'