SPUG: Security through insecurity...

Atom Powers atom.powers at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 08:43:10 PST 2006

On 1/31/06, Ryan T. Kosai <rkosai at u.washington.edu> wrote:

> Now, to send this e-mail, I would have to log into a SMTP relay.  This
> would require a password; which I don't want plaintext or easily
> recoverable (such as ROT13 or such) in a Perl script.  So, in this case,
> an open SMTP relay seems best.

If you have an account on the SMTP server dedicated to this purpose,
with a very secure (long random string) password then I think you
would be fine putting the password in your script. Under these
circumstances the only time that password could get compromised would
be if your laptop was stolen, and then it may even be to your
advantage to see what the perpetrator is sending.

Perfection is just a word I use occasionally with mustard.
--Atom Powers--