SPUG: Is Perl for .NET on anyone's radar?

JD Brennan jazzdev at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 16:41:30 PDT 2006

Yes, there a number of languages you can use that
will run in a JVM.   Jython, J/Ruby, Rhino (JavaScript),
and JScheme are just the ones I know a bit about.
I'm not sure that Sun did anything to encourage this
besides publishing the spec for the JVM.  But that's
getting off topic for this list.

I can think of 3 ways to approach this problem:

1) Write a Perl interpreter in C#
2) Write a translator from Perl to C#
3) Write a translator (compiler) from Perl to CLR byte codes

2 might be interesting since you could write it in Perl.
Jython and JScheme use approach 1.  JScheme also
does 3.  And, of course, if you do 2 you get a way to
do 3 also, though it'll have the performance and
debugging drawbacks that the old C-front version of C++
had back in the day.

JD