SPUG: Meeting Announcement -- Patrick Michaud & Miles Crawford -- 15 August 2006

jerry gay jerry.gay at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 10:52:03 PDT 2006

    August 2006 Seattle Perl Users Group (SPUG) Meeting

    Title:   Introducing the Solstice Framework
    Speaker: Patrick Michaud and Miles Crawford

    Meeting Date: Tuesday, 15 August 2006
    Meeting Time: 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
    Location: Whitepages.com offices, downtown Seattle

    Cost: Admission is free and open to the public
    Info: http://seattleperl.org/

Please join us Tuesday evening on 15 August 2006 at the (otherwise) regular
monthly meeting of the Seattle Perl Users Group.

Due to last minute scheduling conflicts, Mark Jason Dominus is unable to
join us this month. Instead, we are very happy to have Miles Crawford and
Patrick Michaud as our guests to talk about their web framework, Solstice.

Thank you to our hosts at Whitepages.com for giving us a great place to hold
our meetings and presentations, to the SPUG-Workers list for making speaker
arrangements, to all the SPUG members that show up at meetings or
participate on the list to make the group worthwhile in the first place, and
all the JAPHs out there for just being.

See below for more information on...

    - Speaker Background
    - Presentation Description
    - Meeting Location

Speaker Background
==================

Miles Crawford & Patrick Michaud
--------------------------------

Software Developers for Catalyst Research and Development, Office of
Learning Technologies at the University of Washington, Miles and Patrick
developed a web framework named after everyone's favorite coffee shop on the
Ave. They gave a version of this presentation at YAPC::NA this year in
Chicago, and thought it was worth all the travel hassles it took to get them
there.

Presentation Description
========================

Introducing the Solstice Framework
----------------------------------

The Solstice framework is a new MVC-oriented web development framework for
mod_perl. Stressing scalability, embedability of application components, and
a state-machine driven navigation model, Solstice provides some new
approaches to creating Perl web applications. Developed by a group at the
University of Washington, this system has allowed our four developers to
create and maintain 8 campus-wide applications in two years. We intend to
introduce the strengths and features of Solstice as well as do a quick demo
of the development process.

Meeting Location
================

Whitepages.com is located on the 16th floor of the Rainier Square Tower (1301
5th Avenue, Seattle) which is across from the 5th Avenue Theater.

See the directions[1] for a quick primer on how to reach us from
variouslocations across Puget Sound.

There are plenty of locations to park in the area, including on the street.
If you're looking for off-street parking, you can park in the Rainier Square
garage which has an entrance on Union St.

After 6PM, the building management restricts access to most floors. Our host
is trying to take care of this, but if unsuccessful, they will station
someone on the 1st floor near the elevator bank and 5th Avenue entrance to
let people in. Worst case scenario, give our host a call on his cell
phone[2] and he'll run down to let you in.

Our hosts are providing a generous assortment of free sodas, fruit
drinks, teas,
and coffee, and also have some snacks. You definitely won't dehydrate here.

We look forward to seeing you!

[1] - http://www.whitepagesinc.com/locations/<http://www.whitepagesinc.com/l>
[2] - (206) 354-7789

    MEETINGS: 3rd Tuesdays