SPUG: shebang line on Suse (oxymoronically) requires an option

Joshua McAdams joshua.mcadams at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 10:49:52 PDT 2006

> >   I get a message from the shell indicating an illegal processor, but
> > it doesn't mention /usr/bin/perl in the error message.
> >
> What shell is giving you the problem? Can you provide the exact text of
> the error message?  Is it possible that your shebang line was changed to
> "#!/usr/bin/per1" (note the numeral one at the end of the line).  When I
> tried this under bash on Debian I got the message "-bash: ./shebang.pl:
> /usr/bin/per1: bad interpreter: No such file or directory".

I haven't been following this thread too closely, so I very well may
be repeating something that has already been said, but I occasionally
had issues with the type of newline character(s) being used in the
file having a negative effect on the shebang line.  Possibly try
running dos2unix on the file to ensure that you have the correct line
terminators.