SPUG: Perl needs a better IDE article

Keith Reed keith.reed at philips.com
Tue Sep 6 09:06:55 PDT 2005

by way of discussion, I wonder if any part of Perl's lagging is caused by
modules falling out of support by ActiveState's release of Perl.   One
example that comes to mind is GD::Graph.    We built some web-based
lines-of-code graphing/trending programs, and over the course of time, the
GD packages were no longer built or bundled with ActiveState's Perl.

We have also had trouble with Microsoft's CommonDialog control no longer
working from our Perl command-line programs.   Even some Tk stuff has
broken with the most recent release of Perl.

As a language, Perl is cool.   It has made some pretty difficult tasks,
reasonable.   We're starting to look a C# and the .NET framework, because
MS has seemingly taken a Perlesque approach to the language and provided
soooo many libraries and components.

As always, we plan on using (at least what we think is) the right tool for
the right job, and Perl is so versatile.

Keith

Tim Maher
Sent by:
spug-list-bounces at pm.org
Please respond to
tim at consultix-inc.com

spug-list at pm.org
cc

Subject
SPUG: Perl needs a better IDE article
Classification

Go to www.perl.com, and click on the "Improving Perl's Tools"
graphic in the upper left corner, for an interesting article. The
author feels that one reason that Java is eating Perl's lunch in
the enterprise is that Perl's development tools, which for most
JAPHs are simply vi or emacs and PerlTidy, are many years behind
Java's. He talks about ECLIPSE, and other IDEs, that could be
enhanced to close this gap. It's a well written and extensively
researched article, so check it out!

-Tim
| Tim Maher, PhD     (206) 781-UNIX      (866) DOC-PERL     (866) DOC-UNIX
|
| tim(AT)Consultix-Inc.Com  http://TeachMePerl.Com  http://TeachMeUnix.Com

    MEETINGS: 3rd Tuesdays, Location: Amazon.com Pac-Med
    WEB PAGE: http://seattleperl.org/