SPUG: basic array question

Itay Furman itayf at u.washington.edu
Tue May 10 17:31:02 PDT 2005

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Mathew D. Watson wrote:

> Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 16:13:28 -0700
> From: Mathew D. Watson <matw at eclipse-optics.com>
> To: Itay Furman <itayf at u.washington.edu>
> Cc: spug <spug-list at pm.org>
> Subject: Re: SPUG: basic array question
>
> Itay Furman wrote:
>>
>> I think the confusion arises from a (sublte?) differences between perl's
>> concept of 'array' and 'list'.  Please see below my inserted comments.
>> Perhaps the gurus could add/correct my explanation.
> [ship]
>>

> I completely missed the distinction between list and array when I was reading
> 'Programming Perl'. I don't fully understand your comments yet, but probably
> will with some more study.
>
> Thanks Itay!
>
> Mat

If you have the 3rd ed. of 'Programming Perl' then read pages
72-76: "List Values and Arrays".  Once more, it will help to
understand the behavior of the comma (',') operator for your
particular example (Ch. 3, P. 86, or 'man perlop' on *nix-like
machines).  My original explanation wasn't accurate -- the
reading assignment :-) should do better.

 	Best,
 	Itay