SPUG: Perl Question?

Rick Croote rick.croote at philips.com
Tue May 3 17:31:02 PDT 2005

I agree with Aaron response, but I would make a very simple statement and
solution.  Repeatedly running things at 15 minute intervals, when that may
extend past 15 minutes just isn't a good idea.  Simply modify the batch
file with a simple locking mechanism that says if a flagfile exist, do not
start, and if it doesn't exist, create the flagfile and continue with your
process, and finally remove the flagfile at the end.  In this way you will
never fall into at least the quicksand, I'm sure others are waiting
though.  This will automatically push emailed reports to be every 30
minutes, or longer, if the 15 minute interval is too short.  Then, if you
are not getting your reports often enough, you can then at least look into
why that is, but at least your 15 minute cycle will not be part of the
problem.

---
Rick Croote
Software Engineer