SPUG: JOB: Six Apart, San Francisco

SPUG Jobs jobs-noreply at seattleperl.org
Tue May 3 17:07:30 PDT 2005

    | This isn't exactly local, but I realize there are many folks on
    | this list who are not necessarily tied to Puget Sound. The Six
    | Apart folks are great people and seem to foster brilliance amongst
    | peers. Good people, not evil.
    |
    |   -Andrew Sweger

Six Apart, makers of weblog software and services for individuals,
organizations and businesses, headquartered in San Francisco, is seeking
several talented people to join their team. Six Apart is responsible for
Movable Type (the premier weblog publishing platform for businesses,
organizations, developers, and web designers), TypePad (a powerful, hosted
weblogging service), and LiveJournal (one of the web's largest online
communities, organized around personal journals).

[1] - Software Engineer - LiveJournal
[2] - Summer Interns
[3] - Software Engineer
[4] - and others...

[1] - Software Engineer - LiveJournal
-------------------------------
Terms:      Salaried Employee with benefits (Medical, Vision, Dental and Vacation)
Hours:      Full Time
Location:   On site (San Francisco, CA)
Department: Engineering
Reports To: CTO
Details:    http://www.sixapart.com/about/jobs#software_engineer_-_livejournal

Six Apart (http://www.sixapart.com/), the weblogging software and services
company behind LiveJournal, Movable Type and TypePad, is looking for a
skilled and motivated engineer to work with us in building the massive,
high-performance, open-source LiveJournal service. You will have the
chance to work on software that's used by millions, in one of the fastest
growing industries, and with very sharp colleagues. On top of all that,
we're located just blocks from the ball park in the SOMA neighborhood of
San Francisco, close to Cal Train, Muni, and the freeways.

The ideal candidate will have the following characteristics:

 - Ability to learn. Candidate must show they can adapt to the rapidly
   changing technology landscape.

 - Ability to communicate. Candidate must show that they can effectively
   express ideas and opinions.

 - Mature technical ability. Candidate must understand how the web works
   from a low to a high level. Candidate must also understand how quality
   software is designed and constructed. We want you to think as much as
   you code.

 - Initiative: Candidate must recognize that great ideas are only as good
   as the people who are willing to seize the day and transform concepts
   into realities.

 - Flexibility. Candidate must be comfortable with the pace of a
   small-sized company.

Other required skills:

 - Four year degree or equivalent industry experience.

 - Previous experience developing web applications, preferably for a high
   volume web site based on open source technologies.

 - Understanding and experience with object-oriented design and coding.

 - Experience using Perl with Apache.

 - Understanding of relational database concepts and SQL, preferably with
   experience working with MySQL specifically.

 - Knowledge of basic Software Engineering concepts: development models,
   testing, and documentation.

Pluses:

 - Knowledge of Six Apart's products and services.

 - Experience with weblogs and weblog software, especially Movable Type.

 - Expert Perl programming experience including: Perl web applications
   under Apache and mod_perl, Perl modules, Perl OOP extensions.

 - Other Languages: Python, Ruby, PHP, C, C++

 - Experience in engineering content management systems.

 - Technologies: XML, Web Services and XML-RPC; SMS/MMS;

 - Internationalization; Search systems and concepts.

Please apply with cover letter (plain text) and resume to
jobs at sixapart.com. The subject line MUST include: "Job: Software Engineer
- LiveJournal." Also include links to previous work, CPAN modules,
contributions to open source projects, etc., as well as salary
expectations.

[2] - Summer Interns
--------------------
Terms:   Summer Interns
Hours:   Full Time
Onsite:  Yes (San Francisco, CA)
Details: http://www.sixapart.com/about/jobs#summer_interns

Six Apart (http://www.sixapart.com/), the company behind the Movable Type
and TypePad weblogging systems/services is looking for a handful of
talented summer Interns to work with us in building, designing and
marketing the next generation of weblogging software. You will work on a
global team to build software used by hundreds of thousands of individuals
and businesses.

1 - 2 individuals with savvy web development skills.  Candidates must have
prior experience in Perl and be comfortable with knowledge of basic
Software Engineering concepts: development models, testing, and
documentation.

The ideal candidates will have the following characteristics:

 - Ability to learn. Candidate must show they can adapt to the rapidly
   changing technology landscape.

 - Ability to communicate. Candidate must show that they can express ideas
   with elegance and flair.

 - Mature technical ability. Candidate must understand how the web works
   from a low to a high level. Candidate must also understand how quality
   software is designed and constructed. We want you to think as much as
   you code.

 - Flexibility. Candidate must be comfortable with the pace of a
   small-sized company.

Please apply immediately with resume to jobs at sixapart.com. The subject
line MUST include: "Job: Summer Intern." Live interviews will be conducted
the week of May 9, 2005.

[3] - Software Engineer
-----------------------
Terms:      Salaried Employee with benefits (Medical, Vision, Dental and Vacation)
Hours:      Full Time
Onsite:     Yes (San Francisco Bay Area, CA)
Department: Engineering
Reports To: CTO
Details:    http://www.sixapart.com/about/jobs#software_engineer

Six Apart (http://www.sixapart.com/), the company behind the Movable Type
and TypePad weblogging systems/services, is looking for some skilled
engineers to work with us in building the next generation of weblogging
[...]

Engineer." Also include links to previous work, CPAN modules,