SPUG: Subversion

Ben Reser ben at reser.org
Tue Mar 29 00:48:39 PST 2005

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 07:22:57PM -0800, Florentin Ionescu wrote:
> My company still uses some RedHat7.3 (true, subversion site has a
> release for RH7.3).Other scm I worked with cvs,perforce do not have
> dependencies like svn(swig,neon,apr,apache,etc).

As a Subversion developer I'm a bit perplexed by this confusion over
dependencies.

swig, apache and neon are not hard dependencies.  The only dependency
that you *MUST* have is apr.  Otherwise, the dependencies are a matter
of having certain functionality.  If you use fsfs and svnserve on the
serverside, the only dependency is apr.  If you use svnserve then again
the client only needs apr.

We have dependencies to provide specific functionality.  With the
exception of APR feel free to simply don't install the rest if you don't
need that functionality.

Additionaly, if you're only building a client, every dependency that you
would need for a working client with all our network protocols is
included in our tarball.

I think we've gone to a great deal of trouble to try and provide
functionality without reinventing the wheel, but at the same time
without demanding you have a given wheel if you don't really need it.

--
Ben Reser <ben at reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken