SPUG: One-liners on Windows via command.com

Marc M. Adkins Perl at Doorways.org
Wed Mar 23 09:59:43 PST 2005

 > C:\ perl -wle "print 'Crikey';"

This is the mode I use all the time.  I test lots of small Perl stuff
from the command line ("gee, does this work the way I think it does?").

When I need to insert a carriage return I use:

	perl -e "print 'Path:  ', $_, chr(10) for @INC"

since '\n' doesn't do the right thing.

Seems like the '^' character will prevent characters from being glonged
in the dreaded DOS box.  I don't find that I need to know that.

The thing I do use on occasion is the -x switch.  I can build a Perl
script into a batch file.  Some DOS/Windows programs will execute a .bat
file but not a Perl script.  The same with some people.  It's a nice bit
of sleight-of-hand.

Yes, the old DOS command processor blows chunks.  I hold off from
installing (?:ba|c|z)?sh or whatever because I've found in the past that
customizing my environment overly much makes working with other people
harder.  Leads to entropy in the cubicle space.  When I sit down to help
someone I have to remember how to do things the hard way and end up
muttering under my breath more than usual.  Not to mention having my
weird scripts escape into the general code space, which always leads to
screaming fits from the died-in-the-wool Windows programmers.  So I just
suck it up.  I am, I suppose, a masochist.

Besides, I don't care how lame the command shell is.  I have Perl, which
is better than any shell scripting language.

mma