SPUG: Minimal Perl web site & notification requests

dleonard@dleonard.net dleonard at dleonard.net
Fri Jun 17 11:50:18 PDT 2005

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, Tim Maher wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 09:08:29AM -0700, Uri London wrote:
> >
> > Bill Campbell mentioned a friend of him was 6 (six!!!) times
> > more productive than her colleagues just by using vi! Are you
> > claiming that given everything else is equal, vi would be 6
> > times faster than ms-word?
>
> As a touch typist, it's a /lot/ faster for me to type
> I<italicized> in vim (which is POD markup), than to type
> "italicized" in Word, then grab the mouse, highlight the word,
> and click the [I] button to italicize it. Multiply that effort
> differential by a gajillion times or so, for a book of 400+ pages,
> and you'll understand why I chose not to write my manuscript in Word.

<snip>

I'm a vi person myself but you are making Word seem worse than it is.  There are ctrl based shortcut keys for pretty much any operation you can think of.  Italics is turned off and on via ctrl+i.  What makes vi speedier is not having to bother with ctrl and alt for most operations.

--

<Douglas Leonard>
<dleonard at dleonard.net>