SPUG: In over my head with hashes of arrays of arrays

Ivan Heffner iheffner at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 23:56:55 PDT 2005

Duane,

You seem to be expressing some concerns about the persistence of anonymous
arrays. You can sleep easy knowing that anonymous arrays can persist just as
long, sometimes longer, than named arrays. As long as Perl thinks there is
at least one reference to a data structure, be it a simple scalar or a
complex multi-dimensional array of hashes of array of arrays, that data will
persist. That means as long as you have your hash key that points to an
anonymous array, that array will persist, as well as any anonymous arrays in
it

If you have not seen it, I recommend picking up a copy of Randall Schwartz's
book Learning Perl's Objects, References, and
Modules<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lrnperlorm/>.
It's a great bridge between Learning
Perl<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/learnperl4/>and Advanced
Perl Programming <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/advperl2/>.