SPUG: Regular Expression

aaron salo aaron at activox.com
Thu Jul 7 13:38:37 PDT 2005

William T wrote:

>I've only every used 'perldoc perlre'.  It is a reference and a bit terse, but I
>don't think that I've ever needed to look elsewhere.

And just to address any lurkers who may be at the completely opposite
end of the spectrum from the core Friedl demographic, if you're just
starting to get your feet wet in this stuff I can highly recommend
*ahem* Perl for Dummies, by Paul Hoffman, *ISBN:* 0-7645-3750-4.

If you are coming to Perl from another so-called language, or just need
enough info to get your motor started, this book will get the job done
to teach you basic regex, including matching, replacements, etc -- as
well as some very clear simple info on other perlish ops, probably
enough for you to figure out the rest through experimentation as you
travel towards Conwayism.

I have handed out dozens of copies of this book to people of various
backgrounds over the years and still see the dogeared copies on their
bookshelves with legions of sticky notes wedged into the pages. Good
simple quick reference. No animals were harmed in making this
recommendation.

~!a