SPUG: Tim M. speaking on "Minimal Perl" to UNIX group 2/8

Tim Maher tim at consultix-inc.com
Mon Feb 7 10:06:27 PST 2005

Here's the announcement of my talk for tomorrow night; all are welcome!

-Tim
| Tim Maher, Ph.D.                    tim(AT)TeachMePerl.com |
| SPUG Leader Emeritus               spug(AT)TeachMePerl.com |
| Seattle Perl Users Group        http://www.SeattlePerl.com |

Good day fellow SeaSLUG members,

I invite each of you to the monthly Seattle Unix Users group this
Tuesday, Jan. 11th at 7:00 PM.  This meeting will be held at the TEK
Systems at 1120 11th Ave. in Bellevue.   The meeting room is on the 4th
floor (Room number 420) of the East building.  The building is located
at the SE corner of NE 12 St. (E-W St.) and 112th Ave. NE (N-S Ave.).
There are three buildings (West, East and South).  Parking is available
below the building, although it may be easier to park across the street
in a large open parking lot (NE corner of the intersection).

The February 2005 meeting for the Seattle Unix Group will have one
main presentation.  We welcome Dr. Tim Maher of Consultix, who will
speak on "Minimal Perl for UNIX and Linux People"

ABOUT THE TALK:

Many UNIX and Linux people would like to learn Perl, but they've
heard the language is "weird", and perhaps even "write-only", which
gives them pause.  Add to this the daunting proposition of grappling
with a Camel book (1,092 pages) or even a relatively diminutive Llama
book (316 pages), and many decide to make do with what they already
know.

But really, UNIX people don't have to learn much Perl to begin to reap
its rewards.  That's because Perl encompasses the functionality of
certain core UNIX commands, including grep, sed, and awk, and can
be easily approached as as an enhancement on those.

This talk illustrates the core features of the Minimal Perl approach
through one-liners and scripts that are of general interest and
applicability to UNIX people.

See http://TeachMePerl.com/publications/5perlcmds.pdf for sample
one-liners.

See http://teachmeperl.com for information about Tim's upcoming book
that has the same title as this talk.

ABOUT THE SPEAKER:

Since 1982, Tim Maher of Seattle-based Consultix has taught many
thousands of software professionals to program in Unix-related
languages. He's the developer of the first Perl beautifier, the
founder of the Seattle Perl Users Group (SPUG), the author of
Manning's "Minimal Perl for UNIX and Linux People", a winner of
the Perl community's White Camel award, and a frequent speaker at
Perl conferences.

We hope to see you at the meeting.   Bring your Unix/Linux ideas,
problems and experiences.   Spread the word and bring a friend.