SPUG: A Special Holiday Offer from O'Reilly

John Costello cos at indeterminate.net
Wed Dec 7 17:06:03 PST 2005

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Kurt Buff wrote:

> John Costello wrote:
> > Thanks Bill.  Alibris is another nice place to check for out of print
> > books.
>
> I don't like Alibris - I've heard what I consider to be reliable reports
> that they've bought stocks of books and destroyed them, so that they can
> raise the price of their remaining stock, some of them good and excellent
> books.

What is the source of the reliable reports?

Since Alibris is primarily a marketplace for independent sellers, I am
suspicious of the anonymous claim.  I'd be interested to hear something
substantiating the claim.

> I would try http://abe.com instead.

Interestingly, the Alibris bookseller that I am considering (Indoo) also
lists on abebooks (abe.com / abebooks.com).

> Kurt

John
-----
John Costello - cos at indeterminate dot net
"You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back."--Unknown