SPUG: list filter html

Andrew Sweger andrew at sweger.net
Tue Aug 16 08:12:41 PDT 2005

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, John Costello wrote:

> Is that why some of the messages are showing all their HTML, or is that
> just my reader?

Attachment filtering and conversion is not enabled, yet. What you're
seeing may be the result of a broken sending MUA or (the logical or) a
misunderstanding receiving MUA. I haven't looked at it in detail other
than to grumble at the spewage of MSHTML (I see it too).

Since there have been zero objections to my proposal, I will start
enabling the filters. In the past, any time I mess with the list's
configuration, invariably Something Bad[tm] will happen. I'll make a
separate announcement(s) about the changes.

MUA = mail user agent (your email software, e.g., Pine)

> I dislike receiving attachments, period, on lists, and especially dislike
> non-text attachments (which have been naughty worms--though not on this
> list).

I feel the same way. But there are some attachments that make sense, like
PGP signatures.

The fellas that run the mail server for Perl Mongers have quite a bit of
spam and virus filtering in place. Plus, any message sent to the list from
a non-subscriber is simply rejected.

--
Andrew B. Sweger -- The great thing about multitasking is that several
                                things can go wrong at once.