SPUG: Meeting Announcement -- Practical mod_perl 2 - 8 August 2005

Andrew Sweger andrew at seattleperl.org
Tue Aug 2 17:34:04 PDT 2005

        / / / / / / / /   S P E C I A L   / / / / / / / / /

        August 2005 Seattle Perl Users Group (SPUG) Meeting

       Title: Practical mod_perl 2
     Speaker: Stas Bekman

Meeting Date: Monday, 8 August 2005
Meeting Time: 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. (networking 6:30 - 7:00)
    Location: T.B.D.

        Cost: Admission is free and open to the general public
        Info: http://seattleperl.org/

N.B.: This meeting will occur on MONDAY, the eighth (08) of August.
Location to be determined (almost done).

I just got to Portland and bumped into Stas. He's looking forward to see
y'all. He'll be arriving in Seattle on Saturday morning. This is your
chance to hang out with the mod_perl man and show him around Seattle this
weekend. If you're interested, take up the banner and start a discussion
on the list here. You lead the way. Don't be shy.

If you'd like to prepare yourself for the presentation (tutorial, really),
get the following documents:

    - http://stason.org/tmp/mod_perl-2.0-tutorial-handouts.pdf.gz
    - http://stason.org/tmp/mod_perl-2.0-tutorial-slides.pdf.gz

See below for more information on...

    - Agenda
    - Speaker Background
    - Presentation Description

Agenda
======

    7:00 - Meeting begins
           Announcements
    7:05 - Presentation: Practical mod_perl 2
    8:00 - Break
    8:10 - Presentation (cont.) & Questions
    9:00 - Adjourn

Speaker Background
==================

Stas Bekman is an open source developer, spending most of his time working
on the ASF mod_perl project. He is an ASF member, online columnist, and a
co-author of Practical mod_perl, published by O'Reilly Media, Inc.

Presentation Description
========================

mod_perl 2.0 supports all the mod_perl 1.0 features and brings a whole lot
of new functionality such as protocol and filter handlers, improved
configuration access, threads support, and much more. This tutorial will
get you up to speed with the new features, in addition to reviewing the
old ones.

Topics to be covered:

    - Getting Your Feet Wet
    - A quick introduction to mod_perl 2.0
    - Protocol handlers
    - HTTP request handlers
    - Migrating from mod_perl 1.0 to 2.0

RSVP
====

Please send email to rsvp-august-2005-special at seattleperl.org if there's a
50% chance or better that you will show up at the meeting. We need this
information to let building security know how many guest badges to prepare
(they are dated for the event). Wow, email. Now that's hi-tech!