SPUG: Please help me understand this

Umar Cheema umar at drizzle.com
Wed Jun 9 19:21:37 CDT 2004

Looks like you're simply adding more paths into your PATH environment
variable. You're setting your PATH to include all these new 'paths' plus
your original PATH at the end. If you don't do a :$PATH at the end, your
PATH variable will be set all the new ones that you listed and it'll
overwrite the original path. You don't want that so you add your original
$PATH at the end.

':' is simply a delimiter/separator between the different paths.