SPUG: Re: New changes

Jonathan Gardner jgardner at jonathangardner.net
Wed Jun 9 16:16:28 CDT 2004

On Wednesday 09 June 2004 02:01 pm, Jeff Almeida wrote:
> Also Sprach Aaron W. West:
> >Attachment saved to disk... CA's free-for-a-year antivirus says:
>
> Wasn't really me (I don't even run Windows).  Now I'm being
> spoofed by cable modems in Romania?  Love those headers....

Since spam comprises something like 80% of all email, and since roughly 80%
of all spam comes from compromised Windows machines, 64% of all email is
spam coming from compromised Windows machines.

> One of these days we'll actually SPF or one of its cousins implemented as
> a standard and all of this sort of nonsense will stop.

SPF is well on its way to being implemented full-scale. We have 19,000
publishers as of right now. Growth appears to be logarithmic. There has
been a huge increase of the rate as of a week or so ago. I believe SPF has
finally reached critical mass. The explosion of SPF adoption is happening
right now.

http://spftools.infinitepenguins.net/register.php

AOL has already said that if you want to be on their whitelist, you have to
publish by end of summer. I think AOL has a significant voice in this
matter as a great percentage of all email flows to or from their accounts.

http://www.clickz.com/news/article.php/3365651

The SPF community is debating whether or not to join with AOL and encourage
SPF adopters to do the same.

See http://spf.pobox.com/ for more details.

Have you published your SPF records yet? If not, why not?

--
Jonathan Gardner
jgardner at jonathangardner.net