PerlScript (was RE: SPUG: Perl Developer Gig)

David Innes davidinnes at chicagoscience.com
Mon Jan 26 13:20:56 CST 2004

The recruiter's probably talking about ActiveState's PerlScript, not generic
"perl script."  (Otherwise I agree distinguishing Perl vs. perl script
doesn't make much sense.)

"PerlScript is an ActiveX scripting engine that allows you to use Perl with
any ActiveX scripting host. At this time, ActiveX scripting hosts include:
Internet Information Server 3.0/4.0/5.0
Peer Web Services 3.0/4.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0x
Windows Scripting Host"

It's part of the default ActiveState installation.  I use it all the time in
web programming.  I played around with it some for command-line Windows
Scripting Host script eng but it's usually easier to write straight perl and
grab objects with Win32::OLE.  The syntax after that is about the same.
There are so few Perl installations in my typical customer base that I
haven't bothered writing any client-side browser scripts.

		-- David Innes