SPUG: SPUG is dead, long live SPUG!

Tim Maher tim at consultix-inc.com
Sat Feb 21 11:44:53 CST 2004

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 05:29:47PM -0800, Colin Meyer wrote:
> Friends,
>
> Our indefatigable leader, Tim, after six years of organizing and
> promoting SPUG has become fatigued and is stepping down.

And that just goes to show you how much you can rely on
indefatigability to keep you going these days ! 8-}

> I'd like to
> offer a huge THANKS to Tim for all his hard work!

You just did, and I appreciate it! 8-}

SPUG has been a great experience for me, and I've learned a lot
from it -- about topics other than Perl too!

Up until 3/17/98, I had spent lots of effort criticizing the way
other people were running their organizations, or bemoaning the
non-existence of organizations that would have made my life
richer. Creating and running SPUG was a different kind of
activity, being "creative" rather than "critical", and it brought
with it the satisfactions of making a useful contribution to Perl
and the community, and the benefits of putting local JAPHs
in touch with each other.

It can be easier and more fun to be a critic, but it's ultimately
more satisfying to create something important and useful.

Aw SPUG, I'm starting to sound like Oprah now, so I'd
better shut up.

Long live SPUG!

| Tim Maher, Ph.D.                    tim(AT)teachmeperl.com |
| SPUG Leader Emeritus               spug(AT)teachmeperl.com |
| Seattle Perl Users Group        http://www.seattleperl.com |
| SPUG Wiki Site               http://spugwiki.perlocity.org |
| Perl Certification Site      http://perlcert.perlocity.org |