SPUG: Feb. Mtg, Intro to Perl, Part II

Tim Maher tim at consultix-inc.com
Mon Feb 16 13:40:32 CST 2004

SPUGsters,

Hope to see a lot of you, along with your friends who
need an easy intro to Perl, at our final Safeco meeting on 2/17.

Don't forget to sign up on the Kwiki page (spugwiki.perlocity.org)
if you're planning to eat at Cedars.
| Tim Maher, Ph.D.                    tim(AT)teachmeperl.com |
| SPUG Founder & Leader              spug(AT)teachmeperl.com |
| Seattle Perl Users Group        http://www.seattleperl.com |
| SPUG Wiki Site               http://spugwiki.perlocity.org |
| Perl Certification Site      http://perlcert.perlocity.org |

          February Seattle Perl Users Group Meeting
       What: "Introduction to Perl", Part II
        Who: Tim Maher, Consultix (tim<at>teachmeperl.com)
       When: Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2004 7-9pm

Who's right about Perl?

<Mr. Camel>
    "Perl is an immensely powerful language, suitable for a
    wide range of applications, that allows unparalleled freedom
    of expression and diversity in coding solutions."
</Mr. Camel>

<Mr. Python>
    "Perl is a write-only, line-noise language that encourages
    programmers to cultivate incompatible idiosyncratic dialects
    of cryptic symbols, making it difficult for one programmer
    to understand or maintain programs written by another."
</Mr. Python>

Who's right? Both!  Perl is indeed a powerful and important
language with lots of features and coding options, and it can
be difficult to learn and hard to read.  /But it doesn't have
to be!/  To make Perl *more accessible* and /more acceptable/
to IT departments, Tim Maher has developed a tiny subset of
the language called "Minimal Perl" that is easily learned yet
sufficient for writing many useful kinds of highly readable
programs.

For the February 17th SPUG meeting, Tim will continue his "Intro
to Perl", that's based on the "Minimal Perl" dialect.

Because this is a beginner's oriented talk, we're especially
interested in attracting first-time visitors to SPUG who
wouldn't be able to handle the pace of our regular meetings.
So please help spread the word to potentially interested
parties by forwarding this email to friends and colleagues,
and cross-posting it on other mailing lists.

-Tim

          February Seattle Perl Users Group Meeting
       What: "Introduction to Perl", Part II
        Who: Tim Maher, Consultix (tim<at>teachmeperl.com)
       When: Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2004 7-9pm
      Where: SAFECO bldg, Brooklyn St. and NE 45th St.
               Seattle WA USA
   How Much: Free and open to the general public.
  More Info: http://seattleperl.org/

In this talk, veteran UNIX/Linux/Perl trainer Tim Maher will
provide an introduction to the Perl language.  The emphasis
will be on basic features of Perl, especially ones that are
easy to learn for those familiar with the UNIX *grep* command
and its relatives, and with fundamental shell programming
principles (use of variables, arguments, redirection, etc.).
Attendees will learn the *easy way* to write Perl programs
that can do "file conversion", "data validation", "report
generation", and "number crunching", among other things.

Tim's talk will feature excerpts from his upcoming book for
Manning Press called "Minimal Perl for Shell Users and
Programmers", his commercial Perl training courses, and his past
presentations at the LinuxFest Northwest conference, YAPC
conferences in the US and Europe, and The Perl Conference.

Pre- and Post- Meeting Activities
The pre-meeting dinner will be at the Cedars restaurant, at 50th
St. and Brooklyn, in the University District, near the Safeco
building where the meeting will take place. The phone number is
527-5247. If you are planning to be there, please enter your
name on the Kwiki RSVP page (see spugwiki.perlocity.org) by
2pm on the meeting day. (NOTE: Arrival by 5:45pm is recommended
for those ordering food).