SPUG: using ActivePerl coming from UNIX land

Mike Schuh schuh at farmdale.com
Wed Dec 22 22:32:02 CST 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Tim Maher wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 04:31:13PM -0800, David Innes (CSG) wrote:
>>
>> 1) As Dave mentions the underlying systems are different.  ActivePerl does a
>> pretty good job masking those differences (e.g. you can still use forward
>> slashes to denote folders in paths even though the Windows system uses
>> backslashes.)
>
>Is the abilitye to use the "wrong slash-angle" an ActivePerl enhancement
>or a standard Perl feature?

I think this derives from M$ C, as path names in C could use forward
slashes (although it has been a while since I had anything to do with that
platform/language combination).  There must some interesting parsing rules
to allow filenames - in C - to include embedded backslashes...

--
Mike Schuh -- Seattle, Washington USA
http://www.farmdale.com