SPUG: Update friendly community site in PERL

Fred Morris m3047 at inwa.net
Fri Dec 10 15:40:18 CST 2004

I'm sure Mason has been or will be mentioned. You might also look at Zope
(which is based on Python, not Perl).

A key question is sizing: how many events, how frequent the updates, how
many cats and dogs? It might be easier to simply roll your own if these
requirements are (relatively) modest. If you cared to stop by Ballard, I
could show you the CMF I created for a series of cluster datasets; the
updates aren't web-based (although they could be), but the web interface is
generated automagically from defined sets of documents which are simply
placed in separate directories (moral: don't be afraid to use the file
system as your database).

At 11:23 AM 12/10/04, Islandman wrote:
>[...]
>The most important feature the site should have is the ability for non-tech
>members to be able to SIMPLY update items through a web interface. They
>should be able to enter a new kitty, pup or fundraiser event without having
>wait for me to get around to it. Of course they should also have the
>capability to remove same and date stamp an event to remove automatically.
>There are a few other needed features but these are the key needs.

Rather than delete old events, you might want to simply make them invisible
when they are not within a specific time window. This lets you also have a
page which shows past events.

--

Fred Morris
fredm3047 at inwa.net (I-ACK on subject line)