SPUG: Ftp-free CPAN::shell usage?

Andrew Sweger andrew at sweger.net
Thu Apr 8 17:06:46 CDT 2004

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Tim Maher wrote:

> A student in today's class is wondering if it's possible to use CPAN or CPANPLUS
> from behind firewalls that don't allow FTP traffic. I know that curl and lynx can
> be used to download the indices, but I don't know if any non-FTP protocols like
> these are usable for downloading the actual modules.  What's the story?

Make sure the selected mirrors listed in the CPAN config are http sites.
I've noticed that the CPAN shell typically uses LWP (for me anyway) to
retrieve files. When I changed the mirror list to inlclude only http
listed mirrors instead of ftp ones, that seemed to do the trick.

--
Andrew B. Sweger -- The great thing about multitasking is that several
                                things can go wrong at once.