SPUG: Is there some other recommended replacement for CGI.pm with Apache2?

Fred Morris m3047 at inwa.net
Thu Sep 18 22:12:48 CDT 2003

At 11:14 AM 9/18/03, O'neil, Jerome wrote:
>> I don't know if this is what Adam meant by "resource waster", or what
>Jerome meant by
>> "isn't nearly the monster that it's reputed to be", but it's a complaint
>that I've heard
>> many times, namely, loading 'that huge beast into my simple form script
>will slow the
>> whole server'.

Actually, it hasn't been a practical issue with mod_perl, and the rest of
the app is comparatively many times larger. Hey, memory is cheap, the total
package is (still) wicked fast.

No, I was more concerned because in order to get a CGI.pm which worked with
A2, the latest mod_perl and a reasonably current Linux kernel I had to go
to Stein's site and get the latest.

If I had to think anything, I would think the large amount of code (and it
is fairly large) was more of an issue for maintenance than performance.

I wasn't thinking, I was askin'!

I'll take at least a cursory look at CGI::Simple, and yeah rolling your own
headers ain't that bad (do it for the 'bot motel). The issue is peeps
having to download stuff from various and sundry places to get something to
work... especially when that stuff is a moving target.

--

Fred Morris
m3047 at inwa.net