SPUG: Installing CPAN from CPAN on RH9 -- issus

Chris Wilkes cwilkes-spug at ladro.com
Wed Sep 17 11:54:01 CDT 2003

I created a Wiki Page for the installation of CPAN from within CPAN on
RH9 that I mentioned at Ingy's Kwiki talk last night:

  http://spugwiki.perlocity.org/index.cgi?PerlOnRH9

Okay so the formatting isn't the greatest, but I think a wiki's a great
way to keep information around and alive (as opposed to mailing lists
which never seen to get a definitive "this is how you do it" post).

Installing Bundle::CPAN from within the CPAN shell gets me this error:
 Bundle::libnet and the following items had problems during recursive
 bundle calls: Data::Dumper

That also occurs when I try and install Bundle::libnet.  Installing
Data::Dumper works fine.

However I can install CPAN and libnet if I go into the ./.cpan/build/
directories.

My LANG is set to en_US:
  # cat /etc/sysconfig/i18n
  LANG="en_US"
  SUPPORTED="en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en"
  SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"
Which I had to do to get perldocs to show up without some wacky capital
A's with accents.

I tried setting LANG=C per a Usenet post but that didn't help.

Its not that big of an issue as I can always install by having CPAN get
the modules and then installing by hand.

I looked into the __DATA__ issue I brought up about Kwiki and found out
that I was thinking about Apache::Registry which forbids you from having
__END__ or __DATA__ in your scripts.  I would still like to see the wiki
files move into their own seperate files.  I smell a plugin!

Chris